Friday, 3 August 2007

REVIEW: The Matt Langley Band

THE MATT LANGLEY BAND
HAPPY
SATURDAY 28 JULY
Words and Photo's by Charlette Hannah


Matt Langley

Matt goes solo

Hometown Records founder Dylan Galletly and Matt Langley


The band

The show started gently, with a slow acoustic riff, sparse bass notes and harmonica. Gradually the band built up, and launched into a solid country rock groove with Moving On. Matt Langley was in fact the first act I ever reviewed for Wellington Live Music, and I liked the music right away. Months later, with the band fuller and tighter, and an EP, Lost Companions, recently released, it's even better.

My personal favourite is the upbeat country rock song Cry Johnny Cry, but Matt shows his depth of emotion and skill in writing in other songs, such as Sometimes Love Is Not Enough. His voice is smooth and full, but with a slight gravelly edge to it which brings to mind great rock singers.

The sound filled the venue, people were up and dancing, and it was the biggest crowd I've seen at Happy yet. I would have liked to hear a bit more keys in the mix, and for while my view was blocked by dancers, but that's not really anything to complain about.

The band took a break after the first set and left Matt on the stage to do a couple of mellower solo songs, after which they returned for a second, shorter set. I think Matt could really go a long way with his music, and I don't like to make such predictions often.



No comments: