Monday, 2 July 2007

REVIEW: Tim Knauf and Canadia

THURSDAY 28TH JUNE
HAPPY
TIM KNAUF and CANADIA
Words and Photo's by Charlette Hannah

TIM KNAUF


Tim Knauf was the first act up on Thursday at Happy. His easy voice and guitar style were very pleasant to listen to, and he held the stage solo and cracked jokes between songs. Although the re-tuning of a 12 string got a little tedious, and the set lost a bit of momentum because of it, it was an enjoyable performance overall.


CANADIA

Half of Dunedin's Gestalt Switch, Canadia were just passing through Wellington and played second support for Sleepy Demons at Happy. Although the music was good, I have to confess that I was a little distracted by what seemed to be rather arrogant attitude on the part of singer Ashley Hinton. I've been assured that's he's not really like that, but I have to confess I don't really remember much about the music, as I just kept getting annoyed with the cockiness. I can say it was good in my humble opinion, but I'm afraid I just can't give any more details. Ashley did around eight songs by himself, and then was joined by guitarist Blair McPhee for another couple.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Poor old misunderstood Ashley. He's not really that bad; it's mostly tongue-in-cheek. He does seem to rub a lot of people the wrong way, though!